Confederate P.O.W. Camp in Ohio
From 1862 to 1865 Johnson’s Island Prison, near Sandusky, Ohio was a P.O.W. camp for Confederate prisoners. After 1862, the camp separated the enlisted prisoners to Camp Chase Prison in Columbus, Ohio. For the duration of the war, Johnson’s Island housed primarily Confederate officers, including General Officers: Isaac R. Trimble and James J. Archer (both captured at the Battle of Gettysburg), Thomas Benton Smith, Edward “Allegheny” Johnson, M. Jeff Thompson, John S. Marmaduke, William Lewis Cabell and William Beall.
“The 16.5-acre prison opened in April 1862. A 15-foot-high wooden stockade surrounded 12 two-story prisoner housing barracks, a hospital, latrines, sutler’s stand, three wells, a pest house, and two large mess halls (added in August 1864).” …read more on Wikipedia
Johnson’s Island is a residential community now, but the stockade cemetery remains, and is very well maintained. The grounds are patrolled by private security, and the local community is very protective of this historical landmark. The site includes a Confederate monument, the only remaining one in Ohio.
A three point 360º virtual reality tour of the stockade cemetery:
By Bob Henderson
This authors GGF, 2nd Lt. Walter Scott Bearden and twin brother 3rd Lt. Edwin Ryall Bearden 41st Tennessee Infantry, were sent here after their capture at Fort Donelson, TN. They were exchanged in 1862 and resumed duty at Vicksburg.