The Battle of Nashville Peace Monument:
As the country erupts over American Civil War Confederate monuments, there is one that hopefully will endure the test of political sensibilities. The Peace Monument was originally created in 1927 by Italian sculptor Giuseppe Moretti, who was commissioned by the Tennessee based Ladies Battlefield Association. During 1927 Moretti came to Nashville and personally oversaw the construction of the 40 foot tall obelisk, and on Armistice Day, November 11, 1927 it was dedicated.
The bronze figure of a young man stands for Americans from north and south who fought again, now under a common flag of a reunited nation in the Spanish-American War and first World War.
In 1974 the monument was partially destroyed by a tornado. In 1998 it was rebuilt and moved from it’s original location on Franklin Pike, to it’s current location on Granny White Pike and Battlefield Drive… more